Mercedes-Benz G-Class Best Option for Swiss Army
The Swiss army’s new G-Class will be used for transporting personnel and equipment throughout all areas of operations
by John Clark | 19 July 2013
The Swiss army has relied on the PUCH all-terrain vehicles for nearly 20 years and after endless testing and stiff competition, the once favored all-terrain vehicles are going to be replaced by none other than the Mercedes G-Class 300 CDI. The Mercedes-Benz G-Class started its life as a military vehicle so making the switch makes sense, the Swiss Army will get a tried and true military vehicle with technologies that only Mercedes can offer in a stripped down user friendly version for military and emergency service operators.
The 4-seater station wagon variant will account for 75 percent of the planned procurement volume for Mercedes-Benz G-Models, with the chassis variant for shelter-type bodies making up the remaining 25 percent.These will gradually replace the 4189 PUCH 230 GE vehicles which are still in service with the Swiss army. The planned procurement by armasuisse will be submitted to parliament as part of an arms program for ratification.
Mercedes-Benz G-Class all-terrain vehicles
The Swiss army’s new all-terrain vehicle is to be used for transporting personnel and equipment throughout all areas of operations. The substantial technological upgrade for the Mercedes G-Class vehicles – such as are already in use in Switzerland – entails a further improvement in equipment for deployment in extremely cold conditions. The G-Models feature an enhanced ESP system which is tailored even more effectively to the respective vehicle variants and the different gross vehicle weights. A new feature on all variants is internally ventilated disc brakes on the front axle.
The 6-cylinder OM 642 diesel engine generates an output of 135 kW (184 hp) at 3800 rpm. The rated torque is 400 Nm at 1600 to 2800 rpm. This provides the station wagon with a top speed of 160 km/h on surfaced roads. The engine power is applied to the wheels by way of a 5-speed automatic transmission. With tires in size 265/70 R 16, the military variant of the Mercedes-Benz G-Class has a fording capability of 600 mm. The essential core attribute of the G-Class is its outstanding all-terrain credentials resulting from the permanent all-wheel drive, standard-specification reduction gear and three differential locks. The corresponding merits are an inclination gradient of 64 percent, ground clearance of 210 mm and a maximum climbing gradient for the G-Class of 100 percent.
Mercedes-Benz all-terrain vehicles are available with various body variants. These cover the classic station wagon, the chassis for box-type and platform bodies in 4×4 and 6×6 versions and numerous variants with protective equipment. This standard program and diverse seating arrangements from two to ten seats ensure that the right all-terrain vehicle is available for all types of operations.
It offers optimum performance not only off-road but on surfaced roads, too. With robust rigid axles at front and rear and a combination of long helical springs and large-volume telescopic dampers on the four wheel suspensions, the vehicle adapts perfectly to rough and uneven off-road terrain. The extremely high axle articulation of 260 mm ensures that all the wheels maintain their grip in extreme terrain.
With special bodies, the Mercedes-Benz all-terrain vehicle is able to perform a diverse range of tasks. The increasing prominence of crisis reaction forces in international operations and the attendant growing importance of equipment which can be transported by air give rise to an increasing need for lightweight vehicles which offer crews adequate protection. For use with airborne units, the vehicle can be prepared for transportation as an interior or exterior load using helicopters. Various special solutions are available for commando forces.
The G portfolio offers the right vehicle whatever the requirements, from the civil G 65 AMG and G 63 AMG high-end vehicles through the G 500 and G 350 BlueTEC to military vehicles for tough deployment, all produced by experts to identical quality standards.
The G-Class has been demonstrating its legendary qualities in all terrains since 1979, bringing the hallmark Mercedes-Benz attributes to life in its own very special way: G is the fascinating formula for individual and professional solutions on wheels to meet exceptional practical requirements even in the toughest and most difficult conditions.
Under the G-Class’s distinctively angular body beats the heart of an uncompromising all-terrain vehicle. First-class technology, robust workmanship and impressive durability are the characteristics which make the G-Class a genuine Mercedes that is up to any task.